Slovenia’s second largest city, Maribor is adorned by rich wine growing region, Drava river and the popular Pohorje mountain, giving this small city all the diversity of larger metropolis centers around Europe while maintaining a small town vibe.
Just over an hour drive from Ljubljana, Maribor makes for an easy day trip or a great weekend getaway. Known as home to Guinness Book-certified oldest vine in the world, the Stara Trta, Maribor surprises as a small city with a diverse culinary, outdoor and cultural offer. From traditional to modern, cuisine and wine are a big part of Maribor’s everyday life. The most famous site in the city, the Old Vine is hugging the walls of the Old Vine House, a wine culture museum. Like most of Slovenian cities, Maribor is bike friendly, and offers numerous outdoor activities for the adventurous travelers in the close by Pohorje Mountains. The city center hosts most of the cultural sites, like the National Liberation Monument, the Maribor Castle and Bee Keeping center. Maribor has various cultural and music events through the year, most notably the famous Lent Festival.
- The Vine House, site of the oldest vine in the world, 400 years old
- Maribor Castle, hosting Regional Museum of Maribor
- National Liberation Monument on the Freedom Square
- Piramida Hill, offers panoramic views of the city
- Pohorje Mountain, for ski, hike and bike trails
- Maribor wine road
- Rogaska Slatina, a health resort